Saturday, December 22, 2012

Walls Family Holiday Riddle 2012

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Enjoy this year's riddle!



I am the shape of Captain Hook's arm
And a nostalgic Christmas charm.
In duplicity, I make a heart.
I'm a kitschy medium for art,
But to performers, I might cause alarm.


I sometimes have a wooden spine.
I resemble a barber's sign.
Jimmy Smits was heir to me.
I'm a cactus and a tree
And a servant for those who are blind.


I can be read, played, shot and licked.
I'd make a festive swizzle stick.
I'm an extra leg with a rubber foot
And a common bit of stocking loot
Dropped in by jolly old St. Nick.


I go up, then I come down.
I was made to curb sound.
I'm an alternative source of fuel.
You'll see me 'round at the tide of Yule,
But a game is my hometown.


I was the second known man on earth.
I conjure up rivalry and mirth.
I vary in color, species and size.
I'm a toothsome gem a small child espies.
Who else would appreciate my worth?


I alternate between hot and cold.
I am more than 300 years old.
A prop for tap,
I'm hard to snap.
An Aussie barkeep was once my role.


I'm the theme of a prosaic prayer.
I have a certain musical flair.
I'm the suffix of a violent storm,
But hang around in places that are warm,
Where I masquerade as a basket-chair.


I'm the crook of sheep-herding men,
And a renowned cinematic citizen,
Who just longed for his sled.
I'm an incomplete zed,
And hint at the blood shed for sin.



Unpublished Work © Heather K. Walls


8 comments:

Kathy Harrelson said...

Cane?

Stacey P said...

My guess is Cane

Anonymous said...

Well done, once again. I love it. We will refrain from posting a guess this year, since we received a prize last year. ----Arlisa

Ed Evans said...

Is it a candy cane?

Heather W said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather Walls. said...

Hi, everyone! Apparently some people seem to be having issues with sending comments. I'm not sure why, but if you read this and would like to submit an answer to the riddle, please send me an email using the contact link at the top of the blog. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I tried to post a comment from my phone but it didn't work! Consider this a second test post! :) My guess is cane!

Heather Walls. said...

Hi, all! Just want to thank everyone for participating in the 2012 riddle contest. We were looking for a very specific answer this year. It was fun to hear everyone's guesses both online and offline. Some of you guessed "candy cane" which is partially correct. However, reading through the riddle, you can see that there are lines that don't fit that answer. The correct answer is "cane." So, congratulations goes to Stacey Prosper for being this year's winner!

Post a Comment

Talk to me. Tell me what you think! Got a burning question? Ask me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails